Father’s Day Florentines (GF)
Why not treat Dad to some homemade gluten-free Florentines this Father’s Day? Great to make with the children and guaranteed to get messy – Aprons at the ready!
50g / 2oz butter
100g / 4oz caster sugar
4 teaspoons gluten-free flour
150ml / 5fl oz crème fraîche
1 lemon, zested
50g / 2oz flaked almonds
25g / 1oz pistachios, roughly chopped
25g / 1oz crystalised stem ginger, finely chopped
75g / 3oz dried cherries, cranberries & blueberries
150g / 5oz gluten-free dark chocolate
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and set to one side.
2. Place the butter, caster sugar and flour in a pan and heat over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Next add the crème fraîche, continue stirring until evenly blended. Add the lemon zest, almonds, pistachio nuts, stem ginger, and dried fruit. Mix thoroughly.
4. Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls on to the greaseproof paper ensuring there is 3cm between each one as they will spread a little once heated.
5. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set to one side to cool on the tray.
6. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, ensuring the bowl does not touch the bottom, then carefully dip the smooth side of each Florentine in the chocolate. At this point you can make wavy patterns in the chocolate using a fork. Place on a cooling rack to set.