Rough Puff Pastry (GF)
140g / 5oz gluten-free multipurpose flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
110g / 4oz chilled butter, cubed
50g / 2oz cold water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl followed by the xanthan gum and salt, then add the cubes of butter and coat with the flour mix.
2. Next pour in the cold water and lemon juice, stirring with a knife to begin combining, then gently bring together to form a rough dough ball with your fingers, (keeping them as cool as possible). Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3. Place the ball of dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to form a rectangle measuring approximately 12 cms wide x 30cm long. Importantly, roll the dough in one direction only ensuring that butter streaks are clearly visible to create a marbled effect.
4. Lay the pastry long side facing vertically, then fold the top third down, followed by the bottom third up and over that. Rotate the dough a quarter turn and roll out again to roughly the same size. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for a further 30 minutes.
5. Repeat this process two more times allowing the pastry to become slightly wider and longer with each roll and fold, remembering to roll the pastry in the same direction each time. The pastry is now ready to use as desired.