Savoiardi Biscuits (GF)
These versatile gluten-free dessert biscuits, also known as lady fingers, are perfect for pud’s such as tiramisu, trifle, fruit charlotte or even chocolate gateau and best of all, really quick to make. I used mine to make tiramisu and the recipe can also be found here.
3 large eggs
85g / 3oz golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
50g / 2oz gluten-free multi-purpose flour
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / 400°F / Gas 6
1. Line two baking trays with baking parchment and place on one side. Next separate the eggs and whisk the egg yolks until light and creamy. Add half the sugar and vanilla extract and continue to whisk for one minute.
2. Wash the beaters then, in a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue to whisk until the egg whites look glossy and form stiff peaks.
3. Next, sieve the flour into the egg yolks and fold in with a tablespoon, followed by the egg whites and gently fold in until evenly combined.
4. Place the mixture in a piping bag and pipe on to the baking trays. (They should be approximately 10 cm / 4” long in length). Make sure you leave ample space between each as they will expand in the oven, then bake for approximately 12 minutes until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling tray. Slide a pallet knife under each biscuit, carefully removing the baking parchment. Ideally, use on the day of baking or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.