Savoury tuiles with beetroot cream, mushrooms and dill (GF).
These distinct festive nibbles are sure to catch your eye over the Christmas period and get the thumbs up if you are coeliac or following a gluten-free diet. The savoury tuiles are peppered with black sesame seeds and filled with neon pink beetroot cream, topped with sautéed button mushrooms and dill.
Makes: Approx 18-20
65g / 2½oz plain flour, (I used gluten-free plain flour)
15g / 1oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
115g / 4oz butter, softened
2 large egg whites, cold
Black sesame seeds
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / 400F / Gas 6
1. Grease and line a large baking tray, then put on one side.
2. Place the flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl then, in a separate bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg whites to the flour mixture and whisk until evenly blended. Gradually add the softened butter and continue to whisk until the batter is smooth and creamy.
4. Place your tuile template on the lined baking tray and spoon small amounts of the mixture into each shape. Using a palette knife, carefully smooth over ensuring there are no air bubbles, then decorate evenly with a sprinkling of black sesame seeds.
5. Remove the stencil and place the tuiles in the oven for approximately 4-6 minutes or until golden brown depending on your oven.
6. Now for the tricky bit, gently remove the first tuile with a palette knife and mould round a rolling pin. Swiftly repeat the process with the rest. Store in an airtight container for maximum crispiness.
Top Tip: You can either buy a tuile template from most good baking retailers and online or create your own using heavy duty card.
Beetroot Cream Ingredients:
75g / 3oz cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
2 dessert spoons crème fraîche
50g / 2oz ricotta
25g / 1oz butter
100g button mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced 4 sprigs dill
Salt and pepper, to season
1. Squeeze out the extra moisture from the beetroot using some kitchen towel, then place in a food processor and pulse for several seconds. Add the crème fraîche and ricotta, then blend until smooth. Season according to taste. Chill in the fridge until required.
2. Next, melt the butter in a small pan and add the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until golden brown.
3. To serve, place the tuiles on a serving platter, then carefully place a teaspoon of the beetroot cream at the wider end of each tuile. Top with a few of the mushrooms, then garnish with a small sprig of dill. These tasty treats are best assembled just before you want to serve them.