Seared Steak with Pink Grapefruit Salad (GF)
As pink grapefruit is still in season and coeliac awareness week is underway, 9th-15th May, I decided to make this light lunch using locally sourced sirloin steak and serve it with a zingy dressing. A refreshing alternative salad packed with plenty of punch and peppery flavours!
½ bag watercress, trimmed
10 little gem lettuce leaves
170g / 6oz rump or sirloin steak, at least 1 inch thick, at room temperature
Dash sesame oil
1 pink grapefruit, remove skin and slice into segments
1” / 2 ½cm root ginger, finely grated
2 dessert spoons gluten-free soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
Sea salt and pepper, to season
1. Drizzle the sesame oil over the steak and rub in until evenly coated. Season with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat either a griddle pan if you have one or a frying pan to a high heat and sear the steak for approximately 3 – 4 minutes on each side to cook medium. Transfer to a chopping board and let the steak rest while you prepare the salad.
3. Place the watercress and lettuce in a serving bowl and set to one side. Meanwhile, holding the grapefruit over a small bowl to collect any juices, use a sharp knife to peel and cut the fruit into segments that are free of pith and membrane.
4. Grate the ginger and squeeze it’s juice into the bowl with the grapefruit juice, discarding the ginger fibres. Pour in the soy sauce and sugar, then stir to combine evenly.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the steak into thin slices, overlapping them slightly, then sprinkle with the rice vinegar.
6. Sprinkle the dressing over the salad and lightly toss, then place on to 2 plates followed by the steak and grapefruit segments. Serve immediately.