Strawberry, Black Cherry, White and Dark Chocolate Mille-feuille (GF)
Mille-feuille requires a bit of patience if you are making the puff pastry from scratch but it is worth the wait!
50g / 2oz caster sugar, plus extra for serving
350g gluten-free puff pastry (shop bought or homemade recipe found here)
300ml / 10fl oz double cream
1 vanilla pod, seeds only
200g / 7oz strawberries, sliced, plus extra for decoration
200g / 7oz pitted black cherries, halved
50g / 2oz gluten-free white chocolate, grated
50g / 2oz gluten-free 70% dark chocolate, grated
Icing sugar for dusting
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / 400F / Gas 6
1. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper, then sprinkle with icing sugar and set to one side.
2. Next lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar, then roll out the pastry to approximately 28cm x 30cm in diameter. Use the rolling pin to lift the pastry on to the greaseproof paper and sprinkle with more icing sugar. Cover with another sheet of greaseproof paper and place a second baking sheet on top, bottom down.
3. Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp, then set to one side to cool.
4. To make the filling, pour the cream into a large mixing bowl along with the caster sugar and vanilla seeds. Whisk until the cream forms soft peaks and chill in the fridge until required. Slice the strawberries, drain excess juice from the cherries, slice in half then set to one side.
5. When the pastry has cooled completely trim the edges and cut into 3 equal rectangles, either by using a measuring tape or if you have a good eye, cut one then place on top of the rest of the pastry and use it as a guide. Cut in half, and repeat in the opposite direction.
6. To assemble the mille-feuille, place one rectangle of pastry on each plate and use the back of a spoon to spread a generous amount of cream on to the pastry, followed by several strawberries and cherries.
7. Place a second layer of pastry on top and gently press down. Repeat the whole process again with a layer of pastry, cream and fruit, then finish off with a final layer of pastry and cream. Sprinkle with the white and dark chocolate and decorate with a whole strawberry. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Top Tip: Use a palette knife to smooth the filling along the sides so that it is level with the edges of the pastry and fills any gaps.