Tiramisu With Homemade Savoiardi Biscuits (GF)
This indulgent dessert is both light and creamy and makes a perfect treat for the weekend. It can be made in one large serving bowl to share with family and friends or equally works well served in individual pots.
4 large eggs, separated
85g / 3oz caster sugar
425g / 15oz mascarpone
90ml / 3fl oz espresso 2 tablespoons sweet marsala
2 tablespoons Tia Maria or Kahlua (optional)
2 heaped tablespoons Food Thoughts 100% Cocoa
20 gluten-free savoiardi biscuits / ladyfingers, (recipe here)
1. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then place on one side.
2. Wash the beaters then, in a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and velvety. Add the mascarpone a tablespoon at a time and whisk until smooth. Using a tablespoon, gently but thoroughly fold in the egg whites until the mixture is evenly combined.
3. Meanwhile, place the espresso, sweet marsala and the optional coffee liqueur in a small bowl. Brush each biscuit with the liquid until it is a pale coffee colour, then arrange accordingly over the base of your chosen individual pots or shallow glass bowl.
4. Spoon a generous amount of the mascarpone mixture over the top, followed by a good sprinkle of cocoa powder. I used Food Thoughts 100% Cocoa as it is naturally unsweetened and gluten-free.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you reach the top and finally finish off with a sprinkling of the cocoa powder. Chill in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.