We Should Cocoa
Chocolate Orange Roll (GF)
Makes: 10 Portions
No great dinner party would be complete without the ultimate chocolate indulgence. It is both light as a feather and melts in the mouth. Decorate with seasonal fresh fruit to add extra colour.
4 large eggs, separated
175g / 6oz caster sugar
140g / 5oz gluten-free dark chocolate
1 medium orange, zested and juiced
175ml / 6fl oz double cream
Icing sugar to decorate
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / 350°F / Gas 4
1. Grease and line a 12” x 9”, (30cm x 23cm) swiss roll tin and set to one side. Next separate the eggs and place the yolks in a bowl. Whisk with a hand held mixer, then add the caster sugar. Continue to whisk until the eggs resemble a thick velvety texture.
2. Place the gluten-free chocolate, orange zest and juice in a large heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted, then remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
3. In a separate bowl place the egg whites and whisk until firm peaks appear. (Make sure the beaters have been thoroughly cleaned before use).
4. Next, using a metal spoon, stir the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture until it is well blended and then fold in the egg whites, ensuring that no egg whites are visible.
5. Pour into the swiss roll tin and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until light and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to shrink slightly in the tin. Turn out onto a large piece of greaseproof paper sprinkled with icing sugar and gently remove the cake lining.
6. Whip the double cream until it is thick in consistency and spread over the entire cake, edge to edge. Feel free to sprinkle in some berry fruits such as raspberries or chopped strawberries.
7. Now for the tricky bit! Starting with the widest end, roll the cake away from you and use the greaseproof paper to help make a swiss roll shape.
Top Tip: Many well known brands of chocolate are actually gluten-free, so make sure you read the ingredient contents and research different companies online first. It could make shopping a little easier!