Apple and Cinnamon Scones (GF)
What better way to celebrate National Cream Tea Day than with some indulgent gluten-free apple and cinnamon scones. Whether you prefer to put the cream on first, followed by the jam as in Devon or the jam on first followed by the cream as in Cornwall, they taste delicious either way!
225g / 8oz gluten-free self-raising flour
¼ tsp salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
50g / 2oz butter, chilled and cubed
25g / 1oz golden caster sugar
½ Bramley apple, peeled, cored and grated
125ml / 4fl oz buttermilk
4 tablespoons milk
Strawberry jam and clotted cream, to serve
Edible flowers (optional)
Preheat the oven to 220°C / Fan 200°C / 425°F / Gas 7
1. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper and place on one side.
2. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt and cinnamon. Next add the butter, then rub together to create fine breadcrumbs.
3. Using a metal spoon, stir in the sugar and apple, followed by the buttermilk and milk, leaving approximately 2 tablespoons back to glaze. Be careful not to overwork the mixture.
4. Next, gently knead the dough several times on a lightly floured surface to ensure it is evenly blended and roll out to approximately 3cm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter, carefully cut out each scone placing them on the baking trays. Additional flour will help prevent the dough from sticking to the cutter.
5. Using the remaining milk, gently brush the top of each scone, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes until risen and golden, then leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve with strawberry jam and either clotted cream or whipped double cream and enjoy immediately.