Little Star Fish Bites (GF)
Makes: 3 Portions
250g/9oz skinless plaice, cod or sole
2 large Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
Dash of olive oil
10g / ½oz gluten-free cornflakes, finely ground
25g / 1oz gluten-free bread crumbs
½ lemon, finely grated zest
1 sprig parsley, finely chopped
50g / 2oz corn flour or gluten-free flour
1 medium egg, beaten
Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC / Fan 200ºC / 425ºF / Gas 7
1. Using a sharp pair of scissors, cut the fish into a variety of shapes and lay them on a plate. Cover and place in the fridge whilst you prepare the bread crumbs and potato wedges. (Use the remaining fish to make a fish pie or popcorn sized fish finger shapes).
2. Cut the potatoes into chunky wedges and cook on a high heat in the microwave for approximately 6-8 minutes. Transfer to an oiled baking tray and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Bake in the oven for approximately 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
3. Put the gluten-free cornflakes and bread into a food processor and blend into fine bread crumbs. Add the zest of half a lemon and the parsley and stir well, then empty into a bowl. In a separate bowl beat the egg.
4. Toss the shapes in the flour, then dip the egg and finally toss them in the breadcrumb and cornflake mix until evenly coated. Lay the fish shapes on the oiled baking tray and lightly drizzle a bit more olive oil over the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve immediately with your child’ favourite gluten-free mayonnaise or tomato sauce.