Halloween Ginger Biscuits (GF).
I have introduced a new dimension on the classic gingerbread which is stem ginger, giving the biscuits a chewy bite. This recipe certainly lives up to its name as it is packed with a lot of ginger punch!
275g / 10oz gluten-free plain flour
1 dessert spoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
75g / 3oz cold butter
50g / 2oz dark brown sugar
25g / 1oz stem ginger, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 medium egg yolk
Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / Fan 170°C / 375F / Gas 5
1. Sieve the gluten-free flour, ground ginger, xanthan gum and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
2. Using cool hands, rub in the butter to resemble fine bread crumbs, then stir in the sugar, stem ginger, golden syrup and egg yolk. Using a wooden spoon, stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead until a firm dough has formed. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Re-flour the work surface and roll out the dough to 4mm thick. Use your cutters to make the ginger biscuit shapes and place on a lightly greased baking tray.
5. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until firm, then turn out on to a cooling tray. Once cool, decorate with Halloween themed decorations, coloured glacé and fondant icing.