Sticky Toffee Bread and Butter Pudding (GF)
Moist, sweet and sticky toffee pudding and bread and butter pudding have transcended
generations for years – now you can enjoy both at the same time. Happy Mother’s Day!
175g / 6oz dates, stoned and roughly chopped
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
175ml / 6fl oz water
425ml / 15fl oz double cream
425ml / 15fl oz milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped out
6 medium eggs
4 medium egg yolks
140g / 5oz golden caster sugar
75g / 3oz softened butter, plus extra for greasing
1 gluten-free tiger bloomer, sliced ¾” / 2cm thick
For the toffee sauce:
50g / 2oz soft brown sugar
50g / 2oz butter
1 tablespoon double cream
Pre-heat the oven to 170°C / Fan 150°C / 340°F / Gas 4
1. Lightly grease an 8” / 20cm square oven proof dish and place on one side. Put the chopped dates and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan with the water and simmer until the dates soften and most of the liquid has evaporated, then allow to cool.
2. Heat the cream and milk in another saucepan and stir until hot, but not bubbling, then add the vanilla seeds.
3. Whisk together the eggs and egg yolks with the sugar in a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined, then slowly pour the cream mixture into the beaten eggs and whisk for 2 minutes. Set to one side.
4. To make the toffee sauce, melt the sugar and butter in a small pan over a low heat and warm until it turns golden brown and begins to thicken Keep stirring to ensure it does not stick to the pan. Add the cream and stir continuously until it appears silky smooth and evenly blended. Turn off the heat.
5. Place several slices of the tiger bloomer in the prepared oven proof dish, making sure they overlap slightly. Drizzle some of the toffee sauce over the bread, followed by teaspoonfuls of the softened dates, then finally pour a third of the liquid over the top. Repeat the process until you have used all the ingredients up. The great thing about this is that you do not have to be precise!
6. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 – 1 ½ hours or until golden-brown and the custard has thickened. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy this rustic dessert immediately whilst warm.