Mini Macaroons (GF)
Makes: 20, 5cm, (2”) diameter
Macaroons have been all the rage over the past few years. They are great to serve with ice cream or a summer dessert, perfect for parties what ever age you are and gluten-free too.
100g / 3 ½oz icing sugar
100g / 3 ½oz ground almonds
2 medium egg whites
50g / 2oz caster sugar
Natural gluten-free food colouring
Small pinch of salt
Pre-heat the oven to 160°C / Fan 140°C / 325°F / Gas 3
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Draw 5cm, (2”) circles on the paper lightly with a pencil, leaving space between each one.
2. Sieve the icing sugar and ground almonds into a bowl and stir until evenly blended.
3. In a separate bowl place the egg whites and salt. At this point gradually add drops of food colouring until you reach the desired colour you want. Be careful if you want the macaroons to appear subtle.
4. Next, whisk until they form stiff peaks, then gradually add the caster sugar and continue to whisk until they appear glossy.
5. Gradually stir in the icing sugar and almond mixture. The consistency will change and become slightly more loose which is fine.
6. Transfer the mixture to the piping bag. Using a 1cm nozzle, pipe the mixture on to the lined baking tray. Gently tap the baking tray to remove any large air bubbles.
7. Leave to stand for 30 minutes so that a skin forms, then bake in the oven for approximately 8 minutes. Open the oven door to release some of the heat, turn the tray round then return to the oven for a further 8 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and place the grease proof paper on a cooling tray. Leave to cool and only then slide the macaroons off as they are very delicate until cool.
9. Serve with gluten-free ice cream or enjoy as part of a picnic or sweet party treat on their own.