Lean and Local Burger Bites (GF)
Makes: 10-12 Burger Bites
I make these for all the family as they are great if you have a gluten intolerance or coeliac disease as my 4 year old does. They are quick to make, tasty to eat and even healthier when made with high quality beef or lamb – Visit your local butcher to recommend the best mince to use.
500g / 18oz lean minced beef or lamb
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon lemon infused olive oil
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
50g / 2oz sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
1 medium egg yolk
1 dash gluten-free Worcester sauce
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Pre-heat the grill to a medium-high heat
1. In a frying pan sauté the red onion and garlic in the lemon infused olive oil until softened. Add the soft brown sugar and continue to sauté until caramelised. Set to one side to cool.
2. Meanwhile, place the minced beef or lamb in a large mixing bowl and add the sun-dried tomatoes, egg yolk, gluten-free Worcester sauce and thyme, followed by the cooled red onion and mix until evenly combined.
3. Using a dessert spoon shape the mixture into round balls measuring approximately 5cm (2”) squeezing slightly to mould. Cover and transfer to a large plate to chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the fridge and place on a grill tray. Cook for 6-8 minutes, then turn over and grill for a further 6-8 minutes or until they are thoroughly cooked.
5. Serve in between gluten-free ciabatta rolls or small halved pitta breads and a vine tomato salad.