Sweet Pepper, Olive and Bacon Pinwheels (GF)
Makes: 14, 5cm, (2”) diameter
Pinwheels are great for school lunch boxes, a quick snack after school, or a special party – adults also! They work well served either hot or cold. Try experimenting with different fillings such as chorizo or cream cheese and chive.
200g / 7oz gluten-free puff pastry
1 teaspoon butter
1 small garlic clove, minced
½ yellow pepper, finely diced
10 olives, de-stoned and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons tomato purée
25g / 1oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
Pinch smoked paprika
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / 400°F / Gas 6
1. Lightly grease a baking tray and leave to one side.
2. Place the butter and strips of bacon in a medium pan and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, peppers, olives, tomato purée and a pinch of smoked paprika. Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Roll out the gluten-free pastry until approximately 2mm thick and carefully distribute the bacon and olive mixture all over the pastry, edge to edge.
4. Carefully roll up the dough to form a swiss roll shape. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will enable you to cut the pinwheels out more easily.
5. Slice the pinwheels into 1 ½cm disks and lay on the baking tray, ensuring that there is enough room for them to expand a little. Glaze with the beaten egg and place in the oven for 15 minutes.